Monday, May 11, 2009

Reflection on Self Portrait



The two aspects:

I wanted to create two of my personalities which had the most contrast. For one side, I chose hot colors to illustrate a fiery side of me. This probably also includes adventurous, fun. It could also be percieved as devious or plotting. The other side has mellow, cool tones to express adjectives like "good" and "honest". For both sides, my background consists of the opposite colors. I did this for contrast, but also to show that I have some kindness in my fiery side, and fire in my kind side.

Challenges:

One of the biggest challenges for me was the value. I knew that choosing "hot" and "cool" colors instead of just one color for each side would be a challenge, because there was still the aspect of value. As you can see, I managed to add value in my nice side. With the devious side, I experimented more with color so my touch with value faded a bit. Another challenge was hiding the grid lines by the paint. I needed enough water in the paint to spread it, but I couldnt use too much or the lines would show.

Next time:

If I chose to do this painting again, I would choose one color for each side so I could improve and experiment with value.

No comments:

Post a Comment