Sunday, January 11, 2009

Works of Art I Know


"Awaiting his Return"
Charles White
American
1945

My first impressions:
I like how the shading is more random in this picture because it is interesting to look at and ask, "Why did he do that?" I also like the shapes he used instead of drawing everything how they are. I noticed that her face is very detailed too; probably to show her expression. Her body language also speaks for itself as "impatient". The title says, "Awaiting his return" so I suppose that this woman is waiting for her husband to return home from where ever he went.

What I have learned:
In "Awaiting his return" a woman anxiously waits for her loved one from military service during World War II. The message is about the suffering and waiting of women and children who had fathers, husbands, and brothers go to war. White says that the half-covered star portrait in the background stands for the African-American Gold star mothers and wives in WW II.

No comments:

Post a Comment